Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bimboli pickle

Before we left Sangatya Farm, I had the really fun opportunity to participate in the making of bimboli pickle. Bimboli is a small, green, extremely sour and bitter fruit that has the consistency of apple and is white inside. It's in season now, so on the farm it's all we eat for pickle -- and we eat pickle with lunch and dinner every day. The first time I had bimboli pickle, I didn't like it at all, finding it much too strong. Now I can't believe that. Something sour really, really adds to the overall experience of this food, and now I savor every bite of bimboli pickle.

IMG_0984

IMG_0985

The bimboli experience starts with this tree. Unfortunately I failed to get a photo of it before or during the harvest. Harvesting bimboli consisted of watching Milan climb WAY up this tree, picking bimboli clusters as he went and tossing them down to me. I caught most in a big striped bag. The rest I collected from the ground. It was incredible watching this little boy scurry up this tree so easily and pick the bimboli.

IMG_1007

IMG_1008

Next, I washed and chopped the fruit. It took over two hours in all, and I only did maybe two-thirds of it (Svetlana and Max helped.) I put the bimboli in jars.

IMG_0987

IMG_0988

IMG_0986

All the jars of bimboli:

IMG_0989

Next, Ranjana added salt and let the pickle sit overnight. It reduces in size considerably and you can consolidate the bimboli.

IMG_0990

Then Ranjana made the masala. I did get to watch her do this, and I wrote down the recipe, but now I don't have it with me and I don't remember it exactly. I will, however, do my best. First, you toast, dry, 3 tbsp each whole cumin and whole fenugreek seeds in a frying pan. After they are brown, remove from heat and grind to a fine powder. Heat about 4 tbsp oil in a frying pan, and add mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add the spices you just ground as well as three tsp chili powder. Wait for the mixture to cool (at least an hour.)

Finished bimboli pickle. Notice the jar's already half-empty. Bimboli is yummy.

IMG_1010

I have enjoyed making pickle in the past, but once I go home, I will definitely expand my repertoire! Pickle goes so well with everything, even just curry and rice. That sour flavor adds something really essential to a meal, I think. (Same is true for sauerkraut. It makes a sandwich about 100% better.) Ranjana recommended that I substitute green chilis slit in half. But she said that chili pickle should be made with about twice as much oil. Other ideas: garlic, onion?

1 comment:

  1. mana and i were discussing what you could replace the "bimboli" with...she was thinking unripe pear. i was thinking granny smith apple. hmmm.

    ReplyDelete