Tuesday, February 22, 2011

kitchen equipment

I thought you might appreciate a bit of a description of the kitchen at the farm, so that you have an idea of what we were working with when we made all these recipes! Max said: "At first I was afraid of it, but then I realized it's the most awesome kitchen ever." This sums it up pretty well. It's basic, but it has everything you need to make delicious food -- in many ways, it's more well-stocked than my kitchen at home.

The highlight of the kitchen is definitely the grinder. It came with the house (they had to pay a couple thousand rupees extra) and Max estimates that it weighs about 500 lbs. That may be a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea. Here I am (a little blurry) grinding masala paste:

IMG_0979

The stove in the kitchen is simply an open fire with three holes on top for heavy metal pans. Max making pancakes over the fire:

IMG_0963

Health risks aside, it is a very effective stove, and pleasantly warm in the morning when we manage to get up at six or seven to help make breakfast.

Vegetables are kept in a corner that's shady throughout the day. See the coconuts in the back?

IMG_0991

Bananas hang from the ceiling.

IMG_1003

Water is kept in this large silver container.

IMG_0994

Curry leaves are kept on top of the water container. When I asked what they were, no one knew the name in English. Ranjana told me, "You find these leaves in all Indian cooking, I think." For a while I couldn't figure it out, and I thought maybe they were something I'd never heard of before. Then I figured it out: curry leaves! Of course! They have a nice smell and nice mild (but distinct) flavor. Y'all can get them at the Indian market in South Portland.

Various spices, sugars, and condiments.

IMG_0995

Plates, cups, bowls, and minimal silverware (i.e. three spoons) -- all made of metal.

IMG_0997

Various covered pots and pans full of leftovers sit here throughout the day. Most are eaten with meals or as snacks. The rest go to Gunda, the neighbor's dog.

IMG_0998

I really appreciate this kitchen and had lots of fun here cooking with Ranjana and Max. Also, my ability to grind masala improved significantly, and hopefully the strength of my left arm as well! I'll miss the farm kitchen for sure.

1 comment:

  1. you are going to miss that huge grinder! maybe you can help me re-organize the kitchen when you get home!

    ReplyDelete